Measles is there in the news. Babies are having it. In Mumbai a large number of children have been detected with measles.
Hindustan Times has talked about some of the tips for avoiding and treating the affected.
According to the leading Newspaper, some tips are there. They are below
- Measles is contagious and the virus can live for up to 3-4 hours on surfaces infected patients have touched. So, it is essential to disinfect frequently touched surfaces such as doorknobs, handles, faucets, kitchen countertops, and furniture
- Parents should make sure that their children take the Measles-Mumps-Rubella vaccine as suggested by the expert.
- It is important to take care of immunity to protect against virus. Children should be given plenty of fluids to stay hydrated.
- Limit the child’s exposure to crowds. Avoid going to crowded places or limit visitors at home.
- Parents should make sure that their children wear masks by covering their faces in public.”
- Try to wash the child’s hands with soap and water to avoid any kind of infection.
- Breast milk is loaded with antibodies and helps to fight infections. It is essential to exclusively breastfeed babies during first six months and thereafter along with complimentary diet till 18 months of child’s age.
According to Healthy Children “Measles was once a common childhood disease and almost an expected part of growing up. While most children recovered from the measles without problems, many others did not. In some children, the infection caused pneumonia and in a few, encephalitis (infection of the brain) and even death. Of every 1,000 people who got measles, 1 to 2 would die. Before the measles vaccine was available, every year an average of 450 people died from measles; most of them were healthy children.”